Day 4

So, I slept through my alarm, the one that was supposed to wake me up to pump breast milk. The Baby is a breast milk baby, but she gets it in bottles. Nursing was one of the few casualties of our NICU experience. It was more important that she get the breast milk than that she nurse. We tried nursing, but first she was too tiny and tired too easily. By the time she was stronger, her latch was too shallow and she got frustrated. Trying to teach her a new latch was stressful and upsetting to both of us, so I made the decision that I’d rather have fewer nursing moments that were all about comfort, bonding, and love. So, I continue to pump 6-8 times a day and we nurse 1-2 times a day just because we want to. But Monday morning, I overslept. I’d hoped to pump before The Baby woke up. Oh well. The Daddy took baby duty while I hung three loads of laundry on the line, ate, showered, pumped.

I intended for us to have a day of housework. Now that The Daddy is working out of the house, I wanted to reclaim the living room by moving one of the computer desks out. I’m also trying to get things organized to make it easier to keep tidy (my incentive is hiring a cleaning service to do a “spring cleaning” once I have all the stuff put away). I got about two hours in, just to the point in furniture rearranging when you start to wonder what in the hell you were thinking and you wish you could quit but the house looks like a bomb went off, when the headache started. I felt it just behind my right eye and in my jaw. I took two acetaminophen and drank a big glass of water. I ate a sandwich. Four hours later, I took more pills. The headache just kept growing. I managed to get the furniture where it belonged and enough of the mess cleaned up to be able to use the two rooms I’d trashed. I managed to keep The Baby fed, changed, and giggling through most of it. She was sweet enough to take an almost three hour nap in the afternoon which allowed me to cat nap and soak in a hot bath.

The Daddy brought me a coke for the caffeine and fixed dinner. He took a slightly cranky Baby for me and let me eat my dinner while his got cold.

All three of us tumbled into bed, tired but finally headache-free.


3 responses to “Day 4

  1. Yike. I’m glad that The Daddy is a sensible and kind human being. Housework can ALWAYS wait until everyone feels sane and healthy! Welcome back to the blogosphere with your new blog!

  2. I can sooo relate! After a struggle with infertility and a miscarriage, and leaving my job at a law firm behind, I am now at home with a 9-month old little boy. Also teething. Glad Daddy was able to help and that your headache finally went away!

  3. Thank you for your blog. You give all of us still over on the infertile side another glimmer of hope! Congrats on your baby!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s